Ahead of next week’s ATS London keynote speaker and marketing technologist Scott Brinker shares his opinions on how marketing cloud technology is set to further disrupt ad tech.
- Marketing is moving from being in the business of communications to being in the business of customer experiences.
- The culture war between inbound marketing and outbound marketing will escalate.
- Respect in the C-suite for marketing (as a broad category) is growing. Respect in the C-suite for advertising has largely remained unchanged or is shrinking.
- The massive expansion of marketing technology operated inside brands is steadily transferring power and responsibilities from agencies to brands. In-house teams are growing faster than budgets allocated for agencies.
- Agencies, software vendors, systems integrators, and management consultants are all increasingly competing for influence with and dollars from the CMO.
- Software vendors generally have much higher margins than systems integrators. The long-term implications of that for agency business models are profound.
- Innovation in marketing technology is outpacing most companies’ — and, frankly, most agencies’ — ability to absorb it. The future belongs to those who can develop the next generation of organisational and human capital fastest to harness these new capabilities.
- The marketing technology landscape is simultaneously consolidating (platforms) and diversifying (ISVs). We will live in a world of 1,000-plus marketing technology vendors for the foreseeable future.
- Good agencies will be adept at using software. Great agencies will be adept at writing it. Amazing agencies will be some of the leading ISVs in platform ecosystems.
- The single biggest disruption ahead in marketing is vertical competition in the digital pipeline between marketers and customers — a connection that passes through brand-side software, major websites such as Google and Facebook, and client-side software such as web browsers and mobile devices.
This article first appeared on the ATS London 2014 mobile app.